Master of Education (MEd) - Principal License | University of Portland

Master of Education (MEd) - Principal License

The principal license offered through the master of education (MEd) program on the University of Portland campus provides experience in addressing the leadership and management needs of contemporary schools and districts for individuals seeking to become first-time administrators.  Please note that a minimum of 3 years of in-school experience as a licensed educator is required prior to beginning the principal specialty coursework. 

MEd Principal License Requirements - 36 hours

MEd Core Requirements - 15 hrs
ED 550 Professional Growth and Development (3 hrs)
ED 551 Social and Cultural Foundations (3 hrs)
ED 555 Teacher as Researcher (3 hrs)
ED 558 Educational Research for Improved Student Learning (3 hrs)
ED 598 MEd Capstone Project (3 hrs)

MEd Principal License Specialty Requirements - 21 hrs*
ED 543 Cultural Responsiveness & Community Building (3 hrs)
ED 544 Human Resource Development, Growth, Supervision, and Evaluation (3 hrs)
ED 545 Leadership and Organizational Change (3 hrs)
ED 546 Policy, Ethics, and the Law (3 hrs)
ED 547 Operations Management, Resource Allocation, and School Finance (3 hrs)
ED 548 Supervision of Learning and Instruction (3 hrs)
ED 5XX Elective (3 hrs)

*Note: an additional, 9-credit Practicum sequence is required to be eligible for the Oregon Principal License. These can be taken during or following the degree but do not replace MEd core/degree requirements. In some cases, one of these may be taken as the elective course.

Course descriptions are available in the University of Portland Bulletin.

Receive Information Apply for Admission

Program Contact

Anne Rasmussen
Academic Specialist for Graduate Programs and Licensure

Note: For licensed teachers who already hold a master's degree, the Principal License coursework is also offered as a post-master's certificate program or to satisfy 15 area of concentration credits in the doctor of education (EdD) program. Please consult with the program contact for details as to what additional non-degree coursework is required to complete the license component.