- College of Arts & Sciences
- Pamplin School of Business Administration
- School of Education
- Donald P. Shiley School of Engineering
- School of Nursing
- Graduate School
- Clark Library
- Academic Advising
- Air Force ROTC
- Army ROTC
- Early Alert
- Fellowships & Grants
- Franz Center
- Garaventa Center
- Honors Program
- Majors & Minors
- Shepard Academic Resource Center
- Studies Abroad
- STEM Center
- University Catalog: The Bulletin
- University Core
- Campus Life
- About UP
- School of Education
- Franz Hall 427, MSC 149
- 5000 N Willamette Blvd.
- Portland OR 97203
- 503-943-7135 or 800-546-3633
- fax: 503-943-8042
School of Education: B.S.S.E. Degree & Program Requirements
B.S.S.E. Learning Outcomes
The bachelor of science in secondary education leads to recommendation for Oregon licensure for two levels of authorization: middle level and high school education. Subject area endorsements are available in biology, chemistry, French, German, language arts, advanced mathematics, music, physics, social studies, and Spanish. We also offer a course of study to prepare high school religion teachers.
General degree outcomes are listed below. Candidates for the degree will be able to meet Oregon Teacher Standards and Practices Commission authorization standards:
• Plan instruction that supports student progress in learning in content areas and is appropriate for the middle school and high school developmental levels.
• Establish a classroom climate conducive to learning.
• Engage students in planned learning activities.
• Evaluate, act upon, and report student progress in learning.
• Exhibit professional behaviors, ethics, and values.
1. Passage of all TSPC approved tests required for licensure by December 31 of the junior year. Exceptions are subject to approval by the associate dean;
2. Completion of a minimum of 120 semester hours of study;
3. Successful completion of all coursework with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.50;
4. A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.70 in all education classes;
5. A grade of C or better in all education courses; candidates who receive a grade of C or lower in any education course must repeat the course;
6. Passage of ENG 107 or equivalent course with a grade of B- or better. (Note: ENG 107 is waived if SAT Verbal Score is 630 or above);
7. Completion of a teaching endorsement (major) in at least one of the secondary endorsement areas with a cumulative G.P.A. of at least 2.70 in that area. To maintain the G.P.A. of 2.70, candidates cannot have more than two grades of C in all endorsement area classes. Ordinarily, a minimum of 75 percent of the credits in an endorsement area of the secondary specialty area must be taken at the University of Portland for a secondary undergraduate major to student teach in that area. The permission of the associate dean must be obtained for an exception;
8. Successful completion of student teaching to include an edTPA portfolio;
9. Recommendation for licensure from the associate dean;
10. Subject to approval by the dean, candidates who are not able to complete student teaching and student teaching seminar and/or other licensure requirements may be recommended for graduation without licensure by substituting upper division educational coursework which meets University requirements for a degree;
11. During the professional year, candidates may not enroll in more than 15 semester hours each semester. Exceptions are subject to approval by the associate dean.
University Core Requirements -- 39 hrs. See University Bulletin
B.S.S.E. Major Requirements - 81 hrs.
Total Credit Hours: 120